How Do You Get Motivated to Study? The Negative and Positive Approaches-Motivation12channel

 


Studying can be one of the most difficult and tedious parts of education. Most people begin with the best of intentions to study diligently, but after just a few minutes, they find themselves in an online chat room or watching an episode of that TV show they’ve been meaning to catch up on. In order to motivate yourself to study more effectively, it’s helpful to know about the two different approaches – positive and negative – that you can take.





The Negative Approach

As someone who's been struggling with motivation for a long time, I've developed a system that works for me. It's not perfect, but it does help. I first ask myself this question: What is the absolute worst-case scenario? For example, if you were studying for a history exam on World War II, the worst-case scenario would be failing the test and getting an F on your report card. Then, I start working backward by asking myself these questions: How will things look in two weeks? Two months? Six months from now? And finally, 10 years from now? If things don't go well in two weeks or two months, what can I do about it now? If things don't go well in six months or 10 years, then what can I do about it now?

The Positive Approach

If you want to get motivated, start by focusing on the positive aspects of your life. Think about how your life is going great right now, or how much you love your family. These thoughts will help motivate you because they remind you that there are a lot of good things in life. You'll be more likely to put forth the effort needed to succeed if you're not focused on all the negatives in the world, which can make it seem like there's nothing worth working for. It might sound cheesy, but try listing three things you're grateful for every day - even just the weather outside! The way these little reminders may inspire a certain type of motivation that leads to studying more effectively.



Testing Out Both Approaches

I found myself feeling unmotivated to study for a math test I had later that day. I decided to try out two approaches, one being negative thinking and the other being positive thinking. My first strategy was to simply tell myself how much work I would have to do in order to understand everything for the test tomorrow. 
I then thought about what might happen if I didn't study. If I failed this test, it could really hurt my grade in this class as well as my GPA. My second strategy was just as simple as my first: get pumped up and make a list of all the things I could gain from studying hard today instead of wasting time doing anything else.

Putting it all together

One way to motivate yourself is through negative thinking. This means focusing on the things you will have if you don't study, which can be anything from not being able to get a job with your degree or not being able to go out with friends because you are too tired. Focusing on these negative consequences can help push us into working hard when we don't feel like it. Another way is through positive thinking, which means focusing on the positives that will come if we do study. For example, when I work really hard in my classes I always tell myself that I'll learn more material than the average student and thus enjoy better grades. It's important to find ways to make studying enjoyable so that you want to do it for its own sake! If you're reading this blog then congratulations! Maybe reading this post has given you some motivation to study--try taking an approach from one of these two different perspectives and see what happens!

Conclusion 

Negative thinking can be an effective way to motivate yourself, but it is important not to get too caught up in it. When you think about the negative consequences of not studying, try to also spend some time thinking about the positive benefits of doing well in school. If you are experiencing a particularly bad day, try taking a break from your thoughts for a little bit by going for a walk or listening to music. It may sound simple, but sometimes all you need is just a little change in your mindset. Spend some time thinking about what will happen if you don't study - when exams come around how will that affect your life? What if the grades you receive affect whether or not you graduate college? Ask yourself what's more important - getting a perfect grade on one exam, or continuing with your education. Once these points have been established, then consider the positives of studying: spending more time on something that actually interests you; learning something new and expanding your knowledge base; meeting new people who share similar interests as yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment